Saturday, December 18, 2010

Flashback: San Francisco July 2010

The hubs and I traveled to San Francisco in July for the San Francisco Marathon/ Half Marathon with the National Guard Marathon Team.  There were a few cool things about this race, a. you could pick if you wanted to run the 1st or 2nd half of the marathon, b. if you ran the whole or 1st half of the race you got to run over the Golden Gate bridge and back!  What was not cool were the hills (read mountains and I'm from a hilly city) and me injuring my knee at mile 10 :/. I hobbled to the finish and still did better than my worst time ha. 
We also enjoyed the regular tourist attractions such as Fisherman's Wharf, Chinatown, and the Ferry Building Marketplace, and the Aquarium was excellent. Dan also decided it was a good idea to mountain goat it up to Coit Tower the day before the race, this may not phase freaks of nature like him, but for regular old slow people like me, I was definitely feeling it the next day ha.









Got to meet Dane and he gave a great speech!

The Aquarium was sweet and if I was a fish this would be me.

They had a tank where they encouraged you to touch baby sharks and sting rays!


We enjoyed some oysters and crab here, where I proceed to hit the poor man sitting next to us with a piece of flying crab shell. This place has been featured on Food Network's "Best Thing I Ate"

The beginning of our mountain goat adventure



Coit Tower

Alcatraz in the distance

Chinatown Band

The last not so great thing about this race was that the half marathon medal was like the newborn baby of the marathon medal...come on guys! At least make it half the size!

Overall we had a great time and there was ton's of stuff to do just not enough time. Next time I'd like to take a trip to see Alcatraz (it was sold out for the weekend) and take a ferry to Catalina Island. I know I'll be back in a few years if not sooner. My friend and I are planning to run the San Francisco Nike Women's Marathon for our 30th birthdays..helllooo Tiffany's finisher medal!

P.S Please check out my side bar and add my facebook page :)


1 comment:

  1. Awesome pictures! I love SF, your pics are getting me excited for my trip at the end of January!

    ReplyDelete