Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!!!

Hope everyone had a great New Year's Eve. Its now 2011 and our next big race is only 30 days away  eeeeek! With that being said this is really a shamless plug for our charity fundraiser for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation in cunjunction with our big race in Houston at the end of the month. 
This is from our fundraising page that the hubs runs.  You can also see the other charities we have supported in the past!

Picture

So 2010 proved to be a very interesting year for us. Marriage, Buying a House, Grad School, etc. Not to mention that in May I qualified for the Army National Guard's Marathon Team.

Jules and I had a few ideas of what we wanted to raise money for this year, and we were planning on a Fall Marathon to do so. One thing led to another and our schedule put us with a big race in July and one in January. After registering for the Houston Marathon, I saw that they had a charity running program called 'Run for a Reason.' When I saw that the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation had pledged to raise at least $20,000 through the race, I knew we had found our event and charity for the year...even if it is technically in 2011.

Why Cystic Fibrosis?

Picture
I've always loved this picture, the two of us in the Fall of 2003

Many of you who are here to donate were lucky enough to know Katie but for those of you who hadn't the pleasure, I'll say a few words. She was definitely one of a kind.
Katie lost her lifelong battle with Cystic Fibrosis earlier this year, although I know she lives on in all the lives she touched.

I met her in August of 2003 before our senior year in High School. There are only a handful of people that I can truly say changed my life and Katie had a big impact. She was so full of life and just an amazing person. She really taught me the importance of living life in the moment.


It was the highlight of my trips back to Chicago to see her, and eventually, to see her and her husband Sean. She continued to beat the odds time and time again, I really started to think I'd always get to see her smile whenever I came to visit.

One thing that will forever remind me of Katie is a song from way back when. Whenever I hear Konstantine by Something Corporate, I am reminded of all the great times we had together and the wonderful life she lived. The song has a line in it that goes:

I always catch the clock, it's 11:11

I always remember her telling me that she wished for new lungs every time she caught the clock at 11:11--it was something that always stuck with me, especially after her wish eventually came true in the spring of 2004.

I know times are still tough, so I ask for those of you who don't have much to give, consider at least $11.11 in her memory. You can donate here. Thank you so much for your support.

It is in her memory this year that both Jules and I run. I can't wait to carry her through the race with me in January. Rest in Peace Roosha.

Picture
Sean, Katie, Jules, and I at our wedding

No comments:

Post a Comment